If you have one of the specified conditions ask for an application form, FP92A, from reception. You need to fill it in and your doctor (or an authorised member of the practice staff) will sign to confirm the information you’ve given is correct. You will then be sent a Medical Exemption Certificate which is valid for five years.
Specified conditions are:
- Treatment for cancer; note this includes treatment for the effects of cancer, or treatment for the effects of a current or previous cancer treatment.
- A permanent fistula requiring dressing.
- Forms of hypoadrenalism such as Addison’s disease.
- Diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism.
- Diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone.
- Myxoedema (underactive thyroid) where thyroid hormone replacement is necessary.
- Myasthenia gravis.
- Epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive medication.
- A continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person.
If you have a Medical Exemption Certificate all your prescriptions are free, whatever the medication is for.
For more information on the appication process for a Medical exemption certificate, or other help with healthcare costs visit the NHS Business Authority Website